Join the MITCNC for a bike ride unique to California -- riding over the Santa Cruz mountains to beautiful Capitola.
This 44.2 mile ride goes from the Lexington Reservoir in Los Gatos to the Esplanade in Capitola, where we will eat lunch and relax at the beach before riding back.
This is an intermediate level ride -- not beginner. Participants must have road biking equipment and be prepared for significant hill climbing. That having been said, the individual hill sections are not steep, though they can be long. The ride itself is spectacular and well worth the effort.
- Advance registration is mandatory.
- Everyone *must* wear a helmet.
- Everyone must read and sign a liability waiver (see below). A copy for everyone to sign will be provided the day of the ride.
- Show up ready to ride after a hearty breakfast.
- There is a "no drop" policy on this ride; one of the organizers will make sure all riders are accounted for. If someone decides not to return with the group (see below), please notify one of the organizers.
- Rain cancels. In the event of rain, all pre-registered individuals will be notified.
- There are a few locations for bathroom breaks along the ride which will be taken as needed, but ideally we will keep moving.
Bring: 2 liters of water, snacks, sunscreen, bike lock, money for lunch
Optional: flipflops, swimsuit and lightweight camping towel for jumping in the ocean in Capitola
(*Note: there is an option to take the Amtrak Highway 17 Express bus back from Santa Cruz: https://www.scmtd.com/
This option is not encouraged, since it returns to San Jose Diridon Station, which is not the start point of the ride. However, anyone who can arrange to travel between Diridon and the start point of the ride, and to ride from Capitola to Santa Cruz to pick up the bus, is welcome to take this return option and do a one-way, 22.1 mile, ride.
Taking an Uber back is also an option -- but please note that some Uber drivers do not allow bicycles in the back of their cars.)
Disclaimers: Joining any bike ride is entirely voluntary and participants assume any and all risks associated with the activities. By registering or attending this event, participants agree to the conditions posted at: http://northerncalifornia.alumclub.mit.edu/s/1314/images/gid25/editor_documents/event_documents/liability_waiver.pdf
Edward Tau, 650-504-6085
PeninsulaMITCNC Event Wed, Oct 16 / 6:00 pm PT
1500 Seaport Blvd.
Redwood City, CA, 94063