What does a halo have in common with a muon? What even is a muon? At IAP day learn about this and more.
Remember that glorious, carefree month in between semesters where you had fun with friends, relaxed, and learned new things, all without the pressure of psets? Now is your chance to relive the spirit of IAP!
Come get together with other alumni, and remember and toast the MIT faculty's early and continued recognition that extracurricular activities, projects, and shared learning are vital to students' education.
IAP activities are distinguished by their variety, innovative spirit and fusion of fun and learning - purely for joy or personal enrichment.
As we bring that variety to an IAP Day in our own neighborhood, here's what we have in store:
- Hands-on Sessions
- MIT Solve - team pitches
- Hang Out
- Breakfast, Lunch, Toast
>> Light Breakfast at 10 am
>> Hands-on sessions
- Muons & Halos: build a cloud chamber to understand what they have in common
- Craft table: Make a key hook, wall banner, leather wallet, wooden coaster, or braided dog collar
- Car tire change clinic
- Demo Chime - make Indian chai on an automatic but authentic chai brewer.
- Tales From the Fix: Tragedy and Comedy Featuring Your Broken Stuff
- Hardware design + prototyping
- Trips to the patent website: IP mistakes to avoid
- An Accidental Yogi Takes You Through Hot Yoga Postures
- A Venture Insider’s Guide to Startup Fundraising
- The College Application Process Hacked - for Parents and Students
>> Hang Out
- Women backing women table: networking and hanging out.
- Chill with fellow MIT Alums
- Bring your favorite board game
>> Get Your Corporate Headshots - Update your LinkedIn Profile Pictures ...
>> MIT SOLVE team pitches:
MIT Solve is a marketplace for innovators and entrepreneurs to work together to solve the world’s challenges. These teams will be attending IAP Day and are looking for alumni mentors like yourself!
- The Ihangane Project achieves lasting improvements in health outcomes by promoting community-driven solutions that strengthens national health systems. We would benefit from mentorship from leaders in software that deal with large-scale mission-critical, sensitive data, particularly with progressive web technologies.
- Code Nation equips students in under-resourced high schools with the skills, experiences, and connections that together create access to careers in technology. We are seeking volunteer computer science majors/professionals to teach front end web development to Bay Area high school students in San Francisco and Oakland.
- UNTAPPED scales access to safe water by providing asset lease financing for local operators to deploy new technologies for increased water distribution for vulnerable populations. We have built an open-sourced point-of-sale system designed specifically for the water/product distribution in emerging markets. We would like to make the product commercially viable.
- OneSky works to improve the lives of neglected and abandoned children living in poverty in Vietnam, China and Mongolia. We are looking for help in outreach to potential bay area supporters (corporations and foundations), our business model and sustainability, and our tech solution. Additionally, we are looking for help with improving our online learning platform, and to review our measurement and evaluation framework.
- Dost Education is an EdTech non-profit with the vision to turn every home into an environment where a young child can learn, develop and thrive. We are looking for advice on building fantastic Product and Engineering teams.
- Copia solves both issues with one simple solution: facilitating the pickup and distribution of excess food. Seeking general advice and counsel
>> Lunch: Celebratory Lunar New Year Lunch
>> Closing: Toast to IAP
Please join fellow MIT alumni, guests, friends, and family to celebrate our vibrant community and the new year.
San FranciscoMITCNC Event Wed, Feb 26 / 6:00 pm PT
First Republic Bank
1 Front Street
San Francisco, CA, 94111
San FranciscoMIT Event Mon, Mar 16 / 5:30 pm PT
Nasdaq Entrepreneurial Center
505 Howard St.
San Francisco, CA, 94105