The MIT Club of Southern California and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory invite the MIT community and friends to join in an exclusive panel discussion and Q&A on the eve of the Mars 2020 Perseverance Mission launch! A panel of JPL engineers and scientists (also MIT alums!) will discuss the upcoming mission and launch day preparations, and answer your questions about the launch and mission. Open to all including MIT alumni, current and incoming MIT students, and JPL interns.
JPL Panelists -
- Al Chen '00, SM '02
- Dr. Farah Alibay PhD '14
- Jacqueline Sly '14
- Louise Jandura '84, SM '86
- Zachary Bailey '08, SM '10
JPL Moderator -
- Grace Tan-Wang '86
Related links -
- Official NASA countdown - https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/
- NASA media advisory (17 July 2020) - https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-broadcast-mars-2020-perseverance-launch-prelaunch-activities
- Webinar with Dr. Katie Stack Morgan (29 July 2020 @ 5 pm PDT) -https://www.kiss.caltech.edu/lectures/2020_Perseverance.html
- NASA Eventbrite Launch Event (30 July 2020 @ 4:50 am PDT) -https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mars-2020-perseverance-online-launch-participation-registration-109297596052
- NASA Perseverance video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qA9iaAUo8k&feature=youtu.be
- NASA Mars sampling videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PVjj0PEPMA and https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/24757/nasa-mars-2020-rover-sample-collection-animation/?site=insight and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJtevx4IgOo
- Launching during COVID-19 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_04L2Wslabo
MIT COVID-19 Response Funds
In exchange for the value you receive from this event, we ask that you make a donation (in an amount of your choosing) to the MIT Covid-19 Response Funds.
Funds will support:
MIT COVID-19 Research Fund
Gifts to support MIT’s response to help with the Covid-19 crisis, including providing equipment, space, expertise, and other resources to local area hospitals and other health care providers. Contributions to this fund will supplement Institute resources that are already being applied to these immediate medical needs including through the Medical Outreach and Crisis Management Team led by Professor Elazer Edelman, such as donations of personal protective equipment. Gifts will also support the work of Project Manus under Professor Martin Culpepper for projects including the design and mass manufacture of disposable face shields.
MIT COVID-19 Emergency Fund
Gifts to support MIT faculty and researchers addressing various aspects of the Covid-19 pandemic, including vaccine development, portable ventilators, AI solutions, and improved protective equipment.
Please make sure you are a current member of your local club before registering. If you are unsure please ask your club representative or if you would like to join MIT Club of Northern California, click here.