Distance: 5.5 mile round-trip, 650' elevation gain. Estimated Time: 3.5-4 hours, including a lunch break. (Those who wish to hike farther can extend this into about an 8.2 mile loop.)
This beautiful tract of land is one of the most recent additions to the Santa Clara County Parks. (Veteran MIT hikers may recall that we explored this area about 5 years ago when it was just being transferred from the Peninsula Open Space Trust (POST) to the County, but was not yet open to the public). The County has since developed trails that will take us past majestic oaks, traverse rare serpentine soil, and offer expansive views of peaks and ridges. We'll head out on the Lisa Killough trail, and pause for lunch at Lisa's Lookout. Those on the shorter route will backtrack along the outbound route, and those taking the longer loop will continue counterclockwise, returning on the Cottle Trail. Trail maps are available at: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/parkfinder/Documents/CaleroGuideMap.pdf.
What to Bring: Water, lunch and/or snacks, hiking or gym shoes, a hat, and sunblock. Dress warmly in layers, including a rain shell.
Dogs are permitted in this park on 6 foot or shorter leashes. There are restrooms at the entrance parking lot.
Directions: The Ranch San Vicente Entrance is near McKean Rd and Fortini Rd in South San Jose.
- Take Hwy 85 and exit at Almaden Expressway
- From the exit off Hwy 85 South, turn left at Plaza Way, then take the first right onto Almaden Expressway (south)
- From the exit off Hwy 85 North, turn left onto Almaden Expressway (south) at the bottom of the exit
- Continue 4.9 miles to where the road dead ends into a T-intersection. (Stay on the Expressway. Do not take Almaden Road.)
- Turn right onto Harry Road for 0.1 mile
- Turn left at McKean Road and continue for 1.3 miles
- The Rancho San Vicente Entrance will be across the street just past Fortini Rd. If you pass Calero Reservoir, you’ve gone too far.
Carpooling: Carpooling is always a good idea. However, we do not co-ordinate carpools, nor do we sponsor a carpooling application.
Rain policy: If there's any ambiguity about the weather on the day of the hike, please check the forecast on the morning of the hike.
If it's raining significantly, the hike is off. If the weather is ambiguous, we will send out an email to all registered participants.
Disclaimers: Joining any hike is entirely voluntary and participants assume any and all risks associated with the activities. By registering or attending this event, participants agree to the conditions posted at: http://northerncalifornia.alumclub.mit.edu/s/1314/images/gid25/editor_documents/event_documents/liability_waiver.pdf
Date and Time
Saturday, February 23, 2019
10:00 AM - 2:00 PM PT
Rancho San Vicente, Calero County Park 21151 McKean Rd
San Jose, CA, 95120