Distance: ~44 miles
Difficulty: 7 out of 10
Terrain: Paved road with several long hills over the Santa Cruz Mountains
Type: Road (recommended) and Mountain bike
Join the MITCNC for a bike ride unique to California -- riding over the Santa Cruz mountains to beautiful Capitola.
This 44.2 mile ride goes from the Lexington Reservoir in Los Gatos to the Esplanade in Capitola, where we will eat lunch and relax at the beach before riding back.
This is an intermediate level ride -- not beginner. Participants must have road biking equipment and be prepared for significant hill climbing. Having said that, the individual hill sections are not steep, though they can be long. The ride itself is spectacular and well worth the effort.
- Advance registration is mandatory.
- Everyone *must* wear a helmet.
- Everyone must read and sign a liability waiver (see below). A copy for everyone to sign will be provided the day of the ride.
- Show up ready to ride after a hearty breakfast.
- There is a "no drop" policy on this ride; one of the organizers will make sure all riders are accounted for. If someone decides not to return with the group (see below), please notify one of the organizers.
- Rain cancels. In the event of rain, all pre-registered individuals will be notified.
- There are a few locations for bathroom breaks along the ride which will be taken as needed, but ideally we will keep moving.
- Bring: 2 liters of water, snacks, sunscreen, bike lock, money for lunch
Recommended: flashing bike lights (front/back), spare inner tube, patch kit, bike tools
Optional: flipflops, swimsuit and lightweight camping towel for jumping in the ocean in Capitola
Start Location: the parking lot at Douglas B. Miller Memorial Point on the east side of Lexington Reservoir:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM776Q_Douglas_B_Miller_Memorial_Point_Los_Gatos_California which is approximately 37.1929587 degrees North, -121.9850845 degrees West:
Destination Location: the Esplanade in Capitola.The route takes Old Santa Cruz Highway to Soquel San Jose Road: https://goo.gl/maps/Sbgz7hFR2xz
(*Note: there is an option to take the Amtrak Highway 17 Express bus back from Santa Cruz: https://www.scmtd.com/en/routes/system-map/systemschedule/17/20161?dir=1&schedule=6
This option is not encouraged, since it returns to San Jose Diridon Station, which is not the start point of the ride. However, anyone who can arrange to travel between Diridon and the start point of the ride, and to ride from Capitola to Santa Cruz to pick up the bus, is welcome to take this return option and do a one-way, 22.1 mile, ride.
Taking an Uber back is also an option -- but please note that some Uber drivers do not allow bicycles in the back of their cars.)
The MIT Club of Northern California and organizers do not assume any responsibility for any personal injuries or property damage suffered during this event. Cycling is a sport that has inherent risks. Each participant is entirely responsible for being aware of these risks and taking necessary precautions. Every cyclist must wear a helmet. We require that all cyclists submit a signed liability waiver, which we will provide to those who RSVP.
Because this event is in person, you acknowledge the below by coming to this event.
I acknowledge and understand that: (i) I am not required to participate in this event; (ii) my participation is voluntary and at my sole risk; and (iii) I am responsible for my own protection against Covid-19, including, without limitation, following all health and safety protocols communicated to me or posted at the event venue.